PDA

View Full Version : Bent shift lever?

pcbunn
01-31-2015, 10:57 AM
My biggest complaint about my 2011 825I Gator is how difficult the shifting has become. Now I've bent the lever or something so that the lever isn't lined up with the detents in the plastic cover and it's gotten so hard to shift from forward to neutral to reverse and back and forth that getting it to shift is what bent or broke the lever mech. Am I the only one who is having this problem and is there a fix?
Thanks, Phil

htr4
01-31-2015, 11:44 PM
Sounds like you've got your idle too high or the clutch is still engaged partially at idle. How many hours on your machine and have you ever taken the clutch apart?

pcbunn
02-01-2015, 12:44 AM
about 200 hours and I always let the idle settle to under 1000 rpm and come to a complete stop before shifting. Vehicle has been pampered since new and shifting has slowly become more difficult. Became so hard to shift that I bent the lever or something in the shift mechanism just getting it back to the storage shed. Will have the local JD dealer come and pick it up on Mon to repair and adjust and tell me why its become so hard to shift. I'll let you know what I find out next week. Never had the clutch apart or done any other work on the machine, its just as I purchased it when new.

duling
02-02-2015, 07:40 AM
keep us up to date on what you find out... I have the same year and similar hours on my machine, I'd like to know what to do if that ever happens to me. Thanks.

Skillet23
02-05-2015, 03:30 PM
If I remember correctly, almost everybody that has had clutch issues have also had shifting issues. I haven't had these issues, but have read over a lot of them on this forum.

David in TX

pcbunn
02-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Well here is what I found out from my JD dealer. Had them come and pick up the Gator on Monday. Told them to fix the bent lever and do the 200 hr service. Service manager called this morning and said they were finished with all work and would deliver tomorrow morning. Manager said that JD had identified the clutch as the problem and as part of a product improvement service bulletin they replaced the clutch with an improved model and the belt without charge. I just had to pay for the bent shift lever mechanism replacement and the 200 hr service. So I'm happy and service manager said shifting should be trouble free from now on and work as designed. Can't beat that!

duling
02-06-2015, 06:58 AM
If you don't mind me asking; what did the 200hr service cost at your dealer? Mine refuses to give me even a ball park figure, they simply say "it depends." This dealership has a documented history of ripping people when it comes to service and I don't want to be their next victim. Thank you and glad you got your issue fixed.

pcbunn
02-06-2015, 07:34 PM
The whole process of replacing the shift lever and the 200hr service cost around $325.00, I say around because while I have the Gator back I haven't seen the work invoice but the Service Manager said it was $475.00 which included the $150.00 pick up and delivery fee. I charged it on my JD credit card so I won't see the exact amount until I get the bill. One thing for sure it that it now shifts perfectly and goes into each gear easily, much improved overall. I have been dealing with my local dealer for 20 years and while JD stuff is expensive I have been very satisfied with all the service I have received from them.

Dane
02-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I also complain about the price of service and parts but at least I can get service and parts. I feel there will always be a Deere dealer in town to support my equipment. I have a neighbor who bought a cheaper, sorta off brand tractor from a small dealer that went bankrupt. Now, when he breaks down he's waiting days for parts ordered off the Internet. I can get to my Deere dealer and back in well less than an hour and they always seem to have the parts I need in stock.

Bunky
02-07-2015, 05:04 PM
It is nice to be able to get parts for an extended time.

pcbunn
02-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Overall I have purchased two compact tractors from my local JD dealer, a 970 and then later a 990 and then the Gator. With the exception of the clutch issue with the Gator which JD fixed for free, I have not had any trouble with any of the JD products and service and sales have been very helpful over the years. There are cheaper products out there but I have always been very satisfied and happy I chose JD!

Skillet23
09-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Well the clutch bug finally caught up to me. Clutch bound up and made it hard to shift and the shifter got out of sequence. Took it in to my JD Dealer for repairs. They replaced the clutch, drive belt, shifter, shift cable and shifter linkage. Luckily all that was "covered under a John Deere PIP" so no out of pocket cost for me.

Will test it out over the next few days and this deer season.

David in TX