PDA

View Full Version : 825 Exhaust Leak

dale5387
04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
I have a 2012 825i that has had an exhaust leak since new. The header pipe where it joins the main pipe is where I'm having the trouble. Is it just me ? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

K-DOG
04-13-2015, 11:23 AM
I have the same gator that had the same leak. I took the muffler off and removed the pipe and found that the heat shield had cracked near the 90 degree bend. The way the exhaust joint coupling is welded on on it allows exhaust to flow into the heat shield pipe then out the crack. 10 minutes and a wire feed welder and she was good to go. I couldn't believe how quiet she is now. Attached picture shows red arrow were mine cracked.

dale5387
04-13-2015, 12:10 PM
I have the same gator that had the same leak. I took the muffler off and removed the pipe and found that the heat shield had cracked near the 90 degree bend. The way the exhaust joint coupling is welded on on it allows exhaust to flow into the heat shield pipe then out the crack. 10 minutes and a wire feed welder and she was good to go. I couldn't believe how quiet she is now. Attached picture shows red arrow were mine cracked.
My trouble is where the two pipes come together there is no gasket !

K-DOG
04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
I noticed the springs are very weak on mine. I thought about getting some heavier springs for that joint. It's a taper joint and no gasket is theoretically needed. I'm used to snowmobile exhaust springs being almost impossible to get off because there so strong. I think that's all you'd need for your leak. The whole exhaust system is a joke in my opinion. I had to wrap stove gasket in between the 2 factory gasket at the pipe to muffler joint also. After the muffler got up to operating temp the fitting expanded enough to leak there too.

dale5387
04-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I got some Pematex Copper high temp. Sealer. I'll try cleaning it really good & running a bead of that around the joint. I know it's temporary but the noise is driving me crazy!