PDA

View Full Version : Battery light and power steering light

jcummins
10-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Suddenly this afternoon, those two lights came on, and I could tell no power steering.

I turned my 855D off, back on lights stayed off. Went about 100yds, came back on again, and loss power steering again. But was pulling into the garage for the day, done for the day.

SO....any ideas what's going on? Have not a clue where to look. I didn't have time to tear into it, not will I tomorrow....needs some ideas on how to research this.

BillT
10-18-2016, 08:21 PM
A friends Polaris 900XP does this if he plays the radio with the key turned on but not running for too long. When he starts it back up, he has no power steering until the battery charges back up because Polaris & John Deere use Electric Power Steering.

Some questions to answer

What electrical accessories do you have on your machine?

Lights - what type do you have? John Deere light kit(s), HID or LED? Did you have any or all turned on today?
heater --what type, electric or run through the radiator?
trailer whip- check any trailer you were connected to for a short

How old is the machine & battery? Does battery need replacing?
Is the Alternator going bad on you?
Check your connections to the battery for any & all accessories
Check the charge on your battery & make certain you don't have a bad cell or it's old
If the battery is alright try disconnecting any add ons & check for a short & verify your ground is working

Hope this helps...let us know

jcummins
10-19-2016, 08:15 AM
A friends Polaris 900XP does this if he plays the radio with the key turned on but not running for too long. When he starts it back up, he has no power steering until the battery charges back up because Polaris & John Deere use Electric Power Steering.

Some questions to answer

What electrical accessories do you have on your machine?

Lights - what type do you have? John Deere light kit(s), HID or LED? Did you have any or all turned on today?
heater --what type, electric or run through the radiator?
trailer whip- check any trailer you were connected to for a short

How old is the machine & battery? Does battery need replacing?
Is the Alternator going bad on you?
Check your connections to the battery for any & all accessories
Check the charge on your battery & make certain you don't have a bad cell or it's old
If the battery is alright try disconnecting any add ons & check for a short & verify your ground is working

Hope this helps...let us know

UTV 3 years old, original battery. LED aux lights only accessory, and they was not on.

All of what you mention also came to my mind.....check all the connections. If the battery was weak, I feel I'd detect that when it starts. Hate chasing problems like this.

BillT
10-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, still if the problem persists, it's either a poor battery, bad connection or ground or your power steering unit is failing. Hope you find out why it cuts out on you.

jcummins
10-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Went out this morning with the intent of trying to trace it down.....no light. Everything's normal. So....it's going to be one of those type things.