PDA

View Full Version : Rack & Pinion Broke

BillT
04-30-2017, 12:52 PM
This morning the rack & pinion decided to break. Was literally 2 minutes from parking this & heard a click & a snap! No wheels turning, so there it sits inside, in the way.

Glad it didn't happen while I was out driving, though. Can anyone provide the name of a seller for Gator 825i rack & pinion parts? Something of at least Original Equipment quality or better? Where have you gotten replacement parts?

And to add insult to injury....

I just finished making loan payments on the Gator in March this year.
This morning, a turkey decided to strike the passenger side of my car & broke the side view mirror, thankfully I'm fine & no other damage to the car. $65 + shipping to fix that, too.

Oh well, Breaking out the repair manual & taking a better look at it this week to see exactly what happened, will let you know.

Bunky
05-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Too bad! Let us know how easy it is to fix.

WOEII
05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
:OhNoes:

BillT
05-04-2017, 07:23 PM
My mechanic called & has taken a look & said it needs the bearings replaced, so he can rebuild it. I was lucky it came apart in the barn he said, instead of imploding on the trail. Hopefully will get pictures of the damage this weekend when I visit the shop. BTW, does anyone know of a Technical Service Bulletin for the steering rack? I haven't received any mail of that nature yet w/ this machine. Thank you.

BillT
05-28-2017, 05:46 PM
Can't believe it's been just over 3 weeks since this came apart. Got the steering rack rebuilt & installed earlier this week. The Mechanic, aka my brother test drove it & said it's fine. Took it out myself yesterday for an hour & you know what, he was right, go figure. My toy is up running again! Sorry, the mechanic forgot to take pics, now what else can I buy for this?

bradhill
05-29-2017, 12:03 AM
My mechanic called & has taken a look & said it needs the bearings replaced, so he can rebuild it. I was lucky it came apart in the barn he said, instead of imploding on the trail. Hopefully will get pictures of the damage this weekend when I visit the shop. BTW, does anyone know of a Technical Service Bulletin for the steering rack? I haven't received any mail of that nature yet w/ this machine. Thank you.

Does JD send TSB's to the consumer or to the dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillT
05-29-2017, 09:13 AM
bradhill, not entirely sure myself, I'd say the dealers get them, but as long as you're the registered owner, you should get notices.

When I had a 2012 Gator, I received a new emissions sticker directly from JD via the USPS & a letter saying 'remove the old emissions sticker & replace it with this.'

When I had a Commander, Can Am sent me a letter saying go to your dealer w/ this letter & get a spark arrestor / fire prevention kit, installed free of charge, for the 2012 model.

My car manufacturer has sent me numerous Voluntary Recall Notices, the last 1 is to have a free undercoating done for cars from 2010-2013. Speaking of which, I have to call them about this.

Also you might check out the Consumer Product Safety Commissions webpage at CPSC.gov (https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls) & type in whichever product you have. A search for John Deere Gator usually brings up all Gators, riding mowers & the like.

campoman
01-08-2018, 05:04 PM
hi bill I also have a 2014 825i but haven't received any recall are they just going on serial numbers or are all of that year giving problems

jd.rasentrac
01-09-2018, 10:13 AM
hi bill I also have a 2014 825i but haven't received any recall are they just going on serial numbers or are all of that year giving problems

Hi campoman, here you'll find more informations (https://www.deere.com/en/parts-and-service/recall-information/)