PDA

View Full Version : JD Gator 865R Safety Brake Issue

Burcha1
08-26-2022, 02:26 PM
After suffering with the pull stick safety brake on my previous Gator and having it fly by me into the pond, I was pleased to get the 865R with its new foot brake and pull handle release system. Within 2 years I was displeased to note that John Deere had not wised up yet. It is an excellent operation; however, the thin plate of metal that the ratchet plate is made of is too thin, and the metal is crap. The teeth have worn off. You apply the foot brake; you hear the ratchet, then you hear it "de-ratchet" off its set. Once a Gator begins to creep it soon rolls like skate on a hard wooden floor.
This is unsafe. This is unbelievable to equip a $24,000 to $32,000 UTV with such a poor safety brake and to do it over and over. John Deere should pay for a new product replacement under a recall. JD should most likely have been sued by someone by now.

JD Gator 865R Safety Brake Issue
UPDATE : John Deere has had a new safety brake assembly manufactured. The new part is now available. Unfortunately, if the teeth have worn off your brake sprocket plate after the warranty period the warranty does not apply. Nor has there been any recall to replace the subpar initial product used in making the Gator.