PDA

View Full Version : 825 i thru water

blw
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I see where JD states capable of 24'' water crossings ? I am wanting to purchase a new 825,but when I noticed where the engine breather,and CVT breather is located I am very concerned about it's water capabilitys. Then to top that off the CVT exhaust vent is completely open. It would appear that this machine would be very susceptable to water related problems----drowning out and belt slippage.The CVT vent being open also seems that it will draw loads of dust and dirt,not to mention water, directly in and onto the belt. I am a duck hunter and would definetly use the 825 in a wet enviroment at times. Just a concern before I purchase, I hope someone can tell me that I am wrong or how to correct the potential problems. Thanks, BLW

snowboss
09-14-2010, 11:00 PM
just got my 825i home today, i have looked at the drive cover on the machine an I dont think you would want to use it as a submarine or a boat but it probably will not be bothered by a pretty good size waterhole as long as you are rollin. have not got mine dirty yet. time will tell

Hunter825i
09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I've had my 825 through some fairly deep mud and creek beds with absolutely no problems. The things like a tank. I think the clutch is enclosed to prevent slippage unlike the old gators. Very impressed so far.

kinzepower
09-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I have had one in a river, and you have to be careful in deep water. When I get mine, I will be relocating the belt and engine intakes. It is pretty ridiculous that the intake is still mounted by the passenger seat...same place it was mounted in the very first gator...come on Deere!!!!
Still wish it had a higher gear, don't like that it has to run at 6000 rpm going down the road at only 44mph.
They are getting alot better though.

blw
09-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Kinzepower, Any details on how you will relocate the breathers, or how to do it and with what materials ? Does it affect the amount of air needed by the engine? What do you do about the open end in the CVT exhaust vent---looks like water can go straight into it ? Thanks, BLW

blw
09-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Any more input ??
Thanks, BLW

snowboss
09-26-2010, 04:00 PM
if you look on top the transaxle there is a breather that would let water in. a fitting an hose would let you relocate it up higher. also the hose that comes up off the right side of the transaxle by the right rear wheel is just stuck inside the frame with no breather on it. I took my 825i thru a creek that had risen do to heavy rain 15 yards wide an 20 to 24 inches deep I went right thru with current right to left but coming back the cvt took a drink and caused the belt to slip for a bit. threw it in low and walked out the rest of the way. you have a fuel tank to low,air cleaner, transaxle breathers, and the cvt needs to be coupled and plumbed higher.

blw
09-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Snowboss how high was the water on hour machine----over floorboards, over shifting levers, up on seats ?? Thanks, BLW

snowboss
09-26-2010, 08:30 PM
It was 6 inches above the floorboards. I have the cab and doors on mine so i didnot need a swimsuit how ever the cab is far from airtight if you look under your seats you will see what i mean. There was water coming in.

blw
09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
So your engine and CVT breathers were under water ?

snowboss
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
I never stopped in the deeper water that is why I did not get a drownout I could tell the belt was slipping as the motor revved up but was not pulling much. I stopped where it was shallow and shifted to low range and it seemed to correct itself pretty quik. I know the water got into the cvt thru the breather by the fuel tank as that was in the current on the way thru. I checked the transaxle oil and it seemed fine. In that situation not stopping is key!! I like my deere equipment and think the gator is the best for working and to trail ride but in the water this gator cannot swim. The folks at deere should be going hmmmm!!!!!

BarnDoor
10-03-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't know how much all the electronic engine components will like being submerged often. The engine's ignition coils aren't much higher than that exhaust vent for the belt. Getting ignition coils wet is usually a big no-no! Also the spark plugs being recessed down into the cylinder head is a good place for water to get stuck and ground out the ignition. The factory height of the belt intake and engine air intake is as far as I'm comfortable with!

blw
10-03-2010, 06:26 PM
This kind of makes for a questionable all terrain vehicle.

BarnDoor
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
All terrain except water over 24" deep. Good enough for me, the water on my property only gets about 18" deep.